Monday, June 21, 2010

Trying not to be little

Trying not to be little is a hard thing to do.  It is so easy ... and gratifying on some level ... to really be petty, snide and snarky.  Taking the high road, being respectful, biting my tongue and/or letting go does not come easy in some situations.  But, it must be done!
I am becoming increasingly aware that my ex and parts of his support network have been presenting me in less than a positive light to people that I share social interactions with, and more importantly, to my children.  I am trying to be clear that talking in front of the children is not appropriate, that talking about me behind my back is juvenile and hurtful and at this point in our divorce (which has been final for more than a year) we should be able to live our own lives without interference from the other - unless it has direct consequence for the children. 

However, I asked for a divorce because I realized that I had no power, right or authority to change him while we were married...I have even less now.  So, for now, I try to not be little, to be respectful, clear and focus on what I can change...me.

No comments:

Post a Comment