Friday, June 11, 2010

Letting go...

I am having trouble letting go of the things that are not critical.

Tonight I find my self in a gorgeous suite in a five star hotel in Madrid.  (Really sweet suite!)  It is 3:39 a.m. and I can't sleep. It is not time zone adjustment or too much of the strong coffee (which I am loving).  It is work.  There are meetings being held about my job and I am not in attendance.  Not meetings about whether or not my job should exist (which would be more worrisome) but how my job should drive certain processes.  The meeting is schedule for when I am in Europe and it is driving me crazy.  I have emailed the team and told them they must wait until I get back.  Most of the meeting attendees agreed; however some of the people that should be understanding of my position have come back with comments like the VP "told us to have an initial conversation right away".  The VP is here with me in Madrid, but I haven't seen him since I became aware of the meeting.  (I will tomorrow and you can be sure that I will straighten this out.)

The VP is new and trying to understand how things work and is trying to make improvements but he is just learning to understand the big picture.  As a result, I find out that he has been having ongoing discussions about processes that are under my responsibility with many other employees but has only given me fly bys in the hallway.  Now he is asking for a scheduled meeting to start a process change and I am out of the loop. 

While I am sure that after talking to him tomorrow, he will understand why it is important for the meeting to wait until next week and will be supportive, but I love my job and take it seriously.  Right now I feel dismissed, disregarded and dissed.  Oh yeah...all that the coffee means I can't sleep....

1 comment:

  1. You are so lucky to have a VP come in and want to make changes without knowing how everything works. Staff love that!

    ReplyDelete