Sunday, June 6, 2010

It's a small world after all...

I have always been told to be careful what you say about and to people because you never know when it will come back to you.  Some people call it karma, some call in coincidence...I call it dumb luck!

So the other day, on Tressa's suggestion, I looked at a dating site.  I saw many interesting people and took the bold step to reach out to one of them....and he responded!  After some basic back and forth, we decided to meet for coffee during our work day because we worked right around the corner from each other.  We had a terrific time.  I thought he was quite handsome and the conversation witty, entertaining and easy.  He is a Dad of a cute little boy.  I could tell there was a mutual attraction -- which was confirmed by him texting me right after we parted telling me so.  We made a plan to get together after I returned from Spain.

Sounds great!  Yesterday, he calls me and leaves a message, laughing, saying that he needs to talk to me because he has a funny story to tell me.  When I call him back, he tells me that he has already met my children and thinks they are terrific.  He knows Tony and has been in my former house (this from a man that just moved from the South a few months ago...) He met Tony through a mutual friend and when he pieced the whole story together in his head, he was shocked and mentioned it to Tony and the mutual friend.

Now...what should I do?  I called Tony to let him know that I know that he knows (I hate the secrets).   Tony didn't seem bothered (good).  Then I called the guy back to let him know that Tony and I talked about and to see how he was doing with it.  (He seemed okay and said the date was still on.)  But, how do I feel about it? 

I never said anything negative about Tony or our divorce.  But I don't know what he has heard about me from the other side.  Additionally, if this did work out, would I ever be able to be completely open and honest with him (he described the mutual friend as "good friend") without splitting folks?  Does it put him in a weird place?  Do I proceed slowly and cautiously? When do I trust and how do I know where the lines are?    Do I move on?  He is attractive and I think he is charming.  My inclination is to wait and see, but I would hate for some weirdness and ugliness....who wants to deal with that?

This brings me back to my theory that dating as an adult is our version of a noogie, followed by a wedgie with a side of Indian sunburn....better put some better underwear on....

2 comments:

  1. Elliott, it just happens that way. I'm finding that no matter who you meet, you'll find that there's a connection. There are only so many of us. I feel that it's like guys are coming with references.

    Good luck with the man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, KM...so true...so true...

    ReplyDelete