Friday, August 27, 2010

Starlight, Starbright

Today the children are with Tony this weekend. It feels like I have a rare opportunity to be home by myself. I am not in a hotel room and I can get the house clean, eat dinner without ketchup, watch whatever I want , soak in the tub and actually make plans to see friends without having to worry about what time I get home and how much the babysitter is going to cost. Sounds like heaven…and in many ways it is.

However, on the way to work this morning, riding my scooter, I found myself singing a particular little ditty in my head. Not just any ditty but a very important ditty.

On the day Olivia was born, after I witness the glory of her first breath, I cut her umbilical cord and carried her into the nursery. The nursing staff left us alone. Olivia in her bassinet under the warming light and me. Our first moment alone. I found myself stroking every inch of her naked body in amazement that I made this stunning creature. She opened her eyes and looked at me. Me. Her father. In that instant I naturally started singing a lullaby to her. It just came to me.

You are my starlight
Your are my starbright
I wish for you
A love that's true
Someone who'll love you like I do

I wish I will
I wish I might
This little wish I make tonight
This I do because I love you

Any way...it went on for a few verses.  And I still sing this to her when we cuddle at night.

Riding my scooter in the morning sun, I felt tears running down my face.  I realized that little wish, so clear in my mind, will come true someday.  She will will find a love that is true and I will just be her Dad.  This means the world is as it should be.  My dream come true.

1 comment:

  1. Have you heard the song, "I Loved Her First"? If not, you should. Now. Google it. Or at least the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete