Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Death of Innocence

So the other day, I have Shirley, her daughter Crystal and my friend Stephen over for a barbeque with the kids. The night is relaxed and we are all enjoying a nice summer evening telling random stories.  That was a recipe for disaster.

Shirley begins telling this story that goes like this:  "It reminds me of the time that Crystal found out that the tooth fairy wasn't real....."

Really? 

Michael turns into RainMan and starts repeating the mantra "What do you mean the tooth fairy isn't real?"

Olivia is oblivious, Crystal and Stephen are dumbstruck and I keep saying to Michael "Stop talking!" 

All of a sudden, the blood drains from Shirley's face and she says, "Did I say that out loud?"  She is traumatized and can't move or speak.  Michael continues with his mantra with me repeating the need for him to be quiet.  I tell Crystal that Olivia wants to show her the new bike.  Olivia, for the very first time in her life, says "But Daddy, I thought we weren't supposed to get up from the dinner table?"

Crystal grabs Olivia and goes for a walk.  I tell Shirley that she should take Michael for a walk...I have to repeat that a few times before Shirley has her wits about her to get off her chair.  She grabs Michael and takes him into the house.  Stephen and I burst into hysterical laughter.  Then I leave Stephen all alone at the dinner table. 

As I enter the house I see Michael with his hand out and Shirley with her purse open, dropping a twenty onto his palm.  "For future lost wages..."

Now, if you have been with me for a while, I am sure you can probably figure out what happens next....

Michael's hand is still out and he says, "What about the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus?"

2 comments: