Friday, August 6, 2010

"Will work for education"

I just did it and surprisingly, it didn't feel good.  I just sent off a very large check to pay off my student loans.  I spent my security money and now that I own my education, I feel like I am even more at risk.  I hated having that loan over my head.  I have been hoarding the money I got from my divorce settlement and did it.  Now it is nearly all gone, but so is the majority of my debt. 

My theory -- whether faulty or not -- is that the money I have been spending each month on student loans could be paid into my savings to build my security back up...and I will be earning interest not paying it.  Now, all I have left is my car loan, and that is a significantly smaller loan.  Then I am completely debt free. 

I had expected to have a feeling a joy, freedom or at least relief.  I got none of those.  All I had was worry that I was making a mistake by spending the money I used for security.  This is was one of those times that I felt truly single and wished that I had someone that would say "Don't worry, we are in this together."  But, the burden is on me. I hope the kids don't ask for a pony...the stables are empty.

1 comment:

  1. Elliott, of course you did the right thing! Congratulations! Security is important, but so is a little risk.

    ReplyDelete