Friday, August 20, 2010

Adding to the plate

Sometimes it is when we are in a holding pattern that we get the greatest clarity. While there is a tremendous amount organizational change at work this week, the rest of my life seems to be in a holding pattern. This is good. I am really looking at how to structure what comes next.


This morning I was asked to join the board of the local community center. It is a 21 month board seat and I accepted. I am not sure how it will all go but I really felt that even though taking on another responsibility was crazy, I need something that will help me to connect with my community. I need to get out of my house and engage other adults in something that doesn’t have to do with parenting. When the call came this morning I was thrilled to be asked and look forward to the chance to build something great for our neighborhood.

Of course, after I accepted and had the day to think about it, I realized that the reason I am a member of the club is because of the children and wanting to provide them with an opportunity to stay connected with their social circle. So, this means that I will be engaging with all the parents of their friends and helping to strengthen their social ties by being more involved.

Lesson learned? Everything I do is about parenting – either directly or indirectly. This is about them and us as a family. My days of only doing for me are over. Thank goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment