Sunday, July 11, 2010

A slow build

So things are starting to build slowly with the man that knows my ex-husband.  I am happy to report that association hasn't interfered with our ability to get to know each other in a healthy and wonderful way.  That is not to say that there haven't been any impacts, but most of them have been on his side and not mine - and he reports that he is okay with how things are developing.

We talk nearly every day and see each other on the weekends.  I like that there is no mad crazy passionate puppy love.  Instead, there is a comfortable and enjoyable nesting.  I think the fact that we both have children and are older, we are taking a more paced approach.  We are spending time, being comfortable with each other and the children (the good thing is that I don't have to worry about when to introduce him to the kids...my ex has already solved that for me!) and building trust and intimacy. 

I have never really had a relationship that had a slow build to it and I appreciate the natural speed bumps along the way.  I am feeling like I can objectively look at him, us and the opportunities to decide if things are going in the right direction.  It is easier to be honest and discuss what is happening when you aren't rushing to the finish line.  Besides...who wants to be that sweaty after running a marathon?

1 comment:

  1. I am continually amazed at the differences at my current relationship (and it's evolution) and those of my 20's and early 30's. We will have much to talk about next week :) Linda V.

    ReplyDelete