Thursday, July 15, 2010

Shirley, you jest!

Oh, to be a kid again!  I just got back from a business trip to New York City.  I go every month.  This month was different.  Shirley, who had never been to New York, decided to come along. 

We talked about this about a year ago.  Shirley, who is deeply seated in the love family, has been a cornerstone of my support.  We first met when we were 18 years old and working at Denny's.  After the restaurant would close, we would sit in the back parking lot in her pick up and talk about absolutely everything.  She made me feel smart, important and cared about. But, a few years later, I ran away to the army and we lost touch.

Often there would be times that I would ask myself, "I wonder what happened to good ole' Shirl..." Then one day, many years later, I got a mysterious letter in my mailbox.  Inside the envelope, a self addressed stamped envelope fell out along side a simple letter that read:

I am looking for my dear friend.  If this is you, please call me!  If this is not you, please return the empty self addressed stamped envelope so I know to keep looking.  Thank you.

I couldn't believe it.  Shirley still lived in the same house she did way back then (she bought it from her mother).  She had two grown daughters.  We met two days later and everything was as it was years before.  During that first meeting Shirley said to me, "You know those times in your life when you rush to the phone to call that one best friend to talk about something really good or really bad?  Well...I never had your number.  I have been looking for you for 12 years...and I can't believe I finally found you."   Love family...this is the definition.

So here we are...running through Times Square, seeing a Broadway show and having the time of our lives...just like we did when we were kids.  She is still the funny, wonderful, warm, loving friend.  I never laughed so hard.  Shirley...you are the best!

1 comment:

  1. She sounds great! I can't wait to meet her soon. Glad you had a great time!!!

    ReplyDelete