Monday, July 5, 2010

4th of July

I had a really nice 4th of July.  I took the kids into Boston and let them play in the sprinklers.  Timm and Kameron joined us.  We stopped for chicken sandwiches.  I made risotto for dinner.  A really nice day.  To top it off, we went to fireworks with Jen, Robert and the kids.  A perfect ending.

While I was at the fireworks, I noticed a disturbing sight.  As the fireworks were going off, everyone in the audience had their cameras on.  There was a sea of little blue squares in front of me...All I could see was the digitial screens on the backs of everyone's camera.  Now, I always have my camera with me.  I am always taking pictures. But this night just didn't seem the right time to take pictures.  I didn't want a folder of photographs of bright lights in the sky.  That wasn't the memory I will take.  Having my kids fight to sit on my lap as they called "This one is mine!" and "Here it comes!" as they laughed and hooted and hollered and clapped.  The coziness, the giggle and the moment.  That is what I want to remember.  And, I don't need a photograph to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment