Thursday, July 1, 2010

Papa Lion

Tonight an amazing thing happened.  It is the kind of moment that anyone with kids hopes for. 

Michael loves playing at the park next to our house.  It is really more of an extension of our yard because we live right on the park.  It is a huge benefit of living here.  The kids have met lots of new friends and can be in the park everyday and I can watch them from the living room.  Most of the kids that are regulars are great kids and it is always a happy reunion when they all meet up at the end of the day for some energy burning.  I love to see it.

However - and there is always a "however" - there are two girls that are in the park everyday.  They are the mean "queen bee" girls that I have always dreaded.  The type that will act nice to your face one day and then slice you the next.  Well, they have been doing it to my kids.  I try to let my kids figure it out themselves with support and some subtle and gentle prodding.  I think it is important for my kids to learn those social skills, even though they may get somewhat bruised in the process.  Painful to watch. 

Well...these girls really let into Michael tonight.  He came home and said "Big Dad, those girls are really mean to me."  He proceeded to tell me all of the awful things they said to him.  (And truthfully, it was the average queen bee crap...none of the "your father is gay" crap that I always fear for my kids.) I was in a second furious and wanted to go out to the park and defend my son's honor.  I held back. Not easy.  I could feel the rage burning up my neck.

This is when it happened.  Michael turned to me and said, "Big Dad, how do you think I should handle this?  I think I need your help."  Rage morphed into pride instantly.  We talked about many strategies for handling mean kids without turning him into the playground pariah.  How he could respond and keep his dignity and self respect.  He listened...really listened and then went to brush his teeth.  When he was done, he came back and said, "Big Dad, what if I say...."  He had a great answer for them. 

That is when I realized that I didn't have to defend my son's honor...he is perfectly capable of defending it himself. 

3 comments:

  1. You are doing a good job as a Dad!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific success story! Good job dad...and way to go, Michael!!

    ReplyDelete