Monday, October 18, 2010

Meow

I am in Oslo and last night I had a dinner with a colleague.  He is celebrating his 28th anniversary with his husband.  They are really quite the couple.  They fight and argue but when meeting them, everyone can tell what an enmeshed and connected couple they are.  You can tell why they are together and it all makes sense. 

Last night he gave me an ear full about how I need to start living.  It was done with kindness.  However, it really left me with a lot to think about.  Recently I have met a person that wants to date me.  He is genuine, kind, hard working and extremely patient.  He doesn't pressure me in any way and seems to be interested in me for all the right reasons.  Yet, I am hestitant.  My colleague couldn't understand my hesitation.  I couldn't articulate it for him.  Mainly because I don't understand it either. 

I try to live my life boldly...as boldly as possible.  For some reason, this aspect of my life is one where I am skittish and not willing to "jump in".  I tried to articulate it to him.  "I have children and I don't want them to get hurt....I don't have time...dating is not in the budget right now...blah, blah, blah."  He didn't buy any of it.  I am not sure of the real reason I am so hesitant and can't move forward in my personal life with boldness...but I need to figure it out.  After all, I don't want to be crazy cat lady when it is all over.

4 comments:

  1. Relax - it's just dating - you're not getting married! As far as kids go, you can never tell at the beginning of a relationship where it's going to go, so that mindset would mean you could never date for fear of the kids' wellbeing (and I suspect they'll be fine, if not encouraging). You don't need to wait to figure out why you're stalling, figure it out along the way. If you like him and you're not hesitating because of a "bad feeling" about it, then just JUMP already! It's what YOU would tell any friend to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking, if you're hesitating, maybe you should respect your own intuition. Something about your intuition about him, or about yourself, is telling you no. Maybe you have unfinished business or possibilities that you haven't fully explored? Now go lick your paws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Watch what you say about cat ladies! Not all of us are crazy!

    ReplyDelete