Monday, October 11, 2010

It Gets Better

I, like so many others, have been horrified by the rash of gay teen suicides. The truth is that this is not a new issue, it just has gotten a lot of media lately.  Why?  I am not sure, but I am glad that it is.  As many of you know there is a video project started by Dan Savage called It Gets Better.  He has been able to get famous and everyday folk to post videos talking about how life gets better after surviving gay childhood.  I urge you to go to YouTube and watch some of the videos.  They are moving and powerful.  And then I urge you to create your own if you have a story to share.  Gay teens and others need to hear that there is another side to the story.  I have created my video and uploaded it.  My link is in the left nav bar of this blog.  While I am sure that it is not in its final form, I wanted to be part of the process.  I will work on the video...give it more details.  But, I didn't want to have to wait until I had the perfect message in the perfect frame.  I felt it was important to get it out there now. 

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Wayne and I are doing our It Gets Better video this weekend. We also went to a candle light vigil for victims of gay bullying last week. It's heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the fact is... it doesn't necessarily get better. The crap I went through as a kid, I'm going through different crap as an adult. It hasn't gotten better, it's more of the same despair and loneliness. And more often than not, it's gay folk heaping disrespect and disregard on each other because the "other" isn't young enough, hot enough, rich enough, etc. I don't know what the solution is, but someone should be telling the truth, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello anonymous,

    True, sometimes as adults the gay community can be as cruel as the straight community was when we were children.

    If you are feeling that it is just as difficult for you and you aren't managing it well...contact me. There are negative influences to be sure, but let me help you find the positive influences to counteract the ones you are experiencing. I truly believe that it does get better.

    ReplyDelete