Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas time is here...and gone!

Christmas time has come and gone. Maybe not for everyone but for me. This year Christmas seemed like such a chore. I tried so hard to be in the Christmas spirit every day. Don’t get me wrong…there were times when it felt really great…shopping, opening presents with the kids (especially seeing Olivia’s reaction to her first big girl bike.) However, by 11:00 am on Boxing Day, all of my ornaments were boxed up and back in storage and my tree was sadly laying in the gutter like an elf that just got his Christmas bonus.


There was something gratifying about managing Christmas for me and the kids by myself. There was something equally satisfying about ending Christmas as quickly as I did. Usually, I hate to take the tree down before sometime in mid January. I want to stretch the holidays as far as I can. I don’t know why, but as soon as the house was restored to normal, my anxiety and stress levels bottomed out. I became more of myself.

I am planning to have a quiet New Year’s Eve. Chinese food at the girls’ house. In bed by 10:00. I think I have had enough of celebration.

Will this mark one of my more joyous holidays? Sadly, no. However, it will be remembered as my first holiday that I managed on my own (for better or worse) and as a sign that life will go on (unless you are sad, gutter laid Balsam) no matter what changes come. All I have to do now is get through the next torturous holiday…Valentine’s Day. Okay 2010…bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment