Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Bed Partners

Somewhere in the midst of last night I had a startling reality. I am not the only one sleeping in my bed. It has been a while since I had a regular bed companion so feeling that heavy leg and arm draped over me from behind was a bit shocking. That hot breath on my neck was, well…hot. Then came the punch. That is what I really wasn’t expecting. Not a hard punch, but more of a sleeping, twisting and turning hand flying and oops your face was in the way kind of punch. And I took it without complaint.


Somewhere in the midst of last night, Olivia crawled into my bed. So did Lambie, White Doggie, Baby, Pooh, a plastic Elmo purse and a puzzle. The poor thing has had a cold and couldn’t sleep. She was wheezing, coughing and generally agitated. But, she snuck in as quietly as Cindy Lou-Who on a Christmas Eve and tried to settle down. After the punch, I decided that it was time to switch positions…and I flipped her over and wrapped my arms around her. That simple little act seemed to settle her. I could feel her body start to relax and sank into my belly and fell asleep again.

Of course it is now 3:00 am and I am wide awake, have a killer day ahead of me at work and still have to maintain a high energy level because I know Michael is going to come home with more of that “everyday math” crap that I just can’t understand. (I thought I was taught the “new math” when I was in school…when did that become the “old math”?) I am already exhausted. But I know that I am it. The only one they have to keep us afloat, solve the math problem and take the punch at 3:00 am. Just call me Big Daddy

2 comments:

  1. My Maggie has a lambie!!! I agree with the "new math"! I can't do it. I love Math but I do not understand the new way. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a simple 2 + 2 = 4 should suffice!

    ReplyDelete