Friday, January 1, 2010

Beginning A New Year by Closing Out the Old

So it is New Year’s Day. I am home alone. Not because I couldn’t have plans but because I finally realized how tired I am. Marking the end of the year really caused me to reflect on why I may be so damned tired.


Let’s just count it down. In the last year I got divorced. I moved out of my family home after putting my belongings in boxes into storage…then came the transitioning of my children into the new reality of living in a split family. I thought I might have met the future and then realized that we even though we both wanted forward movement, the building blocks weren’t there. I completed my second Master degree and had to transition back to a professional life. After killing myself studying, I took and passed my licensing exam. I took on the full responsibility of a household. I got the full financial realization of what divorce means. I found a new job in my new career and then took on a completely new role in that organization. And I closed the year with realization that all of this is a result of my decisions.

While much of it was painful and emotionally draining, I don’t regret a single decision. Do I wish certain things had worked out differently? Of course, but I have never been one to take the easy route. I have learned many lessons through all of this. Don’t have a relationship by default. Don’t be afraid to make changes, even if you don’t know how it will all work out. Follow your heart and instinct and it really will all work out. At this point, I still believe that…I am just waiting to see how it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment