Sunday, November 22, 2009

Self Actualization

Tonight was another of those subtle moments where I had to pause and reflect on who I am, what I am doing, and where I want to be when it is all said and done. Having dinner with the kids and THE GIRLS, Miri brought up the concept of self actualization. She mentioned that she thought I was someone who worked to be self actualized.

I told her that I am not sure I can say that because I think that to be self actualized, you have to have a goal and then work to get it. At this time, I don’t think I have a particular goal, other than to figure it all out. In the meantime, I am just trying to make good decisions – bad decisions are so easy to make – until I get more clarity on the future.

The more I thought about, I think self actualization is just figuring out who you are supposed to be…and then being that person. Perhaps this is who I am supposed to be today. Am I self actualized for today but not tomorrow if I don’t continue to grow? (That feels like a ton of pressure.) I think I will take it as day to day process rather than looking at it as a lifelong one. I think for today I am who I am supposed to be. When I wake up tomorrow, I will ask again and see what the answer is at that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment