Thursday, November 19, 2009

Beginning New Holiday Traditions.

This is the first year that I am completely on my own with the children for the holidays.  It is a dramatic turn of events and signals the reality of my divorce.  I am thankful that my wonderful and loving friend Shirley has invited us to her Thanksgiving table.  Not only will we be surrounded by love and graciousness, but some damned good cooking as well!  (If you have never had the pleasure of eating Shirley's cooking, well then...I am sorry for you!)  It reminds me that in the midst of all the loss and sadness of the past two years, there is much to be thankful for.  This is not the place that I expected to be, but now that I am here, it is working out. 

Christmas was more worrisome for me.  My ex husband has a large and loving Italian family (of which I have been removed from...).  I am thankful that my children have such a great system of grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and more to show them how wonderful, loud, tasty and committed family can be.  However, the children are spending Christmas Day with me.  I was worried that the children would feel sad that they will not be participating in the big Italian Christmas Day.  I can not offer what my ex husband can in the way of a large extended family.  However, my "family" or "love family" as my son describes it, has equal importance.  Often more because I feel my love family is not with me due to a blood tie, but because they really do care about me and my children.  Regardless of what happens this holiday season, I am thankful for this new holiday beginning and the love of my love family.

No comments:

Post a Comment