Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Beginning to Talk about Sex

Remember my last blog entry…the one where I was just waiting? Well, the cosmos is a cruel lover! Now I know what I was waiting for! During dinner my son asked the big sex question. We were discussing my daughter’s surrogacy journey and the wonderful women that helped us along the way. He finally realized that there were two women involved…an egg donor and a surrogate. This led to the egg and sperm discussion which led to the “Whatchutalkinbout?” reaction. Of course, I took my customary I will not be shocked or thrown by anything you do or say approach and told him that I would be happy to answer any and all questions after Olivia went to bed. In my head, my thought was “Great, I have 67 minutes to figure out how to do this…”


So, after the princess went to bed, I called him into my room and asked him if he still wanted to ask questions. He asked the very basic questions and I told him the very basics. Gets hard. Goes in. Stuff comes out. Egg/Sperm. Baby. I thought…ok…I did a good job. He asked me if I ever had sex and I told him yes. That it is something adults do. There was nothing wrong with adults who have sex, but that sex should only be between adults. I also told him that while there is nothing wrong with sex and that it was perfectly natural, that he shouldn’t be talking about it on the play ground with his friends because this is the kind of information that kids should learn from their parents, and not from other kids. He wanted to know why and I told him that one of the joys of being a parent is being able to teach your children about life and the world and because some kids aren’t ready to learn about it and parents want their kids to know different pieces..so he shouldn't be talking about except with his parents.

Then he asked who I had sex with, and wanted a list of names! I told him that was private information for me and that it wasn’t something that he needed to know. At which point, he gave me the most evil leer and said “I know people you have had sex with! OMG!!!”

Not the best sex talk, but not the worst either.  However, I didn’t realize that becoming a parent was going to be like living with the ethics and morals committee!  Luckily I am sure that I will be getting another chance at this one....

No comments:

Post a Comment