Friday, November 20, 2009

Beginning the Holiday Season

OK, tonight was a real reality check for me.  The kids were with my ex and I decided that rather stay home and focus on the ironing again, that I would go and do something fun.  I have always loved the holidays so I thought I would do some early Christmas shopping and put it away for a few weeks. 

My goal was to buy some things for the kids and ensure that Santa had some things for me and my stocking as well....after all, I didn't want the kids to ask why, all of a sudden, Santa didn't bring things for me.  I wanted everything to be as normal as I could make it. 

I went into several stores and struggled to put anything in the cart.  I  have never had a problem shopping.  In fact, I could win Olympic gold if it was an option.  But, this was different.  This year there would be no gifts for me under the tree or in my stocking unless I put them there.  I couldn't bear to spend money on anything.  I don't have a lot of spare space and I don't need anything.  Sure there were things that I liked, but this whole year has been about learning to do with less, to downsize, to live frugally.  To buy for the sake of buying was just ... well.... wrong.  So I bought a few small things that I could do with the kids....and toilet paper.  One can never have enough toilet paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment