Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A weekend to remember

Every once in a while, I have a weekend that reminds me what is important, where I need to adjust and why making good decisions is important.  This weekend was one of those weekends.

The weekend included an email from a very special and dear friend who felt that I was becoming distant.  I so loved that he was able to speak his mind and share with me how he was feeling.  We spoke and reconnected.  Having friends that can tell you how they are really feeling is such a gift. 

The kids have been with Tony all weekend and I have been able to live "an adult life".  Being with Joe  has been a motivating and inspiring experience.  Joe has been volunteering and running with Team in Training for several years.  This organization raises millions of dollars for Leukemia and Lymphoma research and treatment.  The team runs the Boston Marathon each year -- which happened this weekend.  On Saturday we went to the marathon expo with all of the runners.  This made me want to run.  Then we attended the team's pasta party in preparation for the big run and heard amazing stories of courage, resilience and hope.  This made me want to do something and be a part of it.

After the pasta party, Joe brought me to PTown for a stormy (the weather...not Joe) night escape....which I desperately needed.  Sunday morning included a massage appointment and an easy ride home.  I came home feeling incredibly connected physically (thanks to Doug the massage therapist) and emotionally (thank to Joe!)

Watching the Boston Marathon with the other T in T volunteers was an unbelievable experience.  To see the elites was incredible, but to see the real people struggling at mile 16 and keep going  To see the blind runners and geriatric runners and the overweight runners...keep going.  I was inspired.  I am committing to run the Boston Marathon next year to be part of this adventure.  And, the adventure starts today.


1 comment: