Monday, April 11, 2011

Training has begun!

So I am starting my second week toward my goal of running the marathon.  I have been rigid on my diet and am starting to see the results.  I am down 1.5 pounds but I am feeling different in my clothes.  I still have to be incredibly mindful of everything I eat and have been ritualistic about keeping my food journal up to date.

I did my first run of the season.  Michael and I ran 1.8 miles.  Not far but it was all hills.  I did well, although the end of the hills were getting tough.  I know that if I were doing the flats my time would have been better, but it felt good to get out there and run...just not with Michael.  He totally lapped me every step of the way, didn't break a sweat and when we were done he asked if he could go play soccer...like we had just gotten up from the couch.  In a strange way in motivated me because I want to push him in his running and show him that I have improved. 

I think a big part of my doing this is to give strong messages to my kids:

1.  Be healthy.  Get moving.  Take care of your body
2.  Accomplish something big.  Set a high goal no matter how unrealistic it may be and push yourself really hard to accomplish it.
3.  Remember that there are things that are bigger than you.  Be part of a community and do your part.
4.  This is something we can do together.  My kids love running track...and I want to run it with them!

It is only going to get easier...right?

No comments:

Post a Comment