Sunday, April 3, 2011

Re-entry

After a long and sometimes insane trip through London and Dublin, I have returned to my bed.  This trip was truly exhausting.  While productive and successful from a business perspective, I couldn't wait to get home. And..what a great re-entry.

When I finally made it to Boston (after a day's travel delay), Joe met me at the airport.  I have only been picked up one other time by my friend Stephen.  For those that travel as much as I do, you will have an appreciation of what a luxury it is to be picked up at the airport.  Not to have to shuffle all of your luggage into a cab (which is usually less than clean and smells like the 500 other cab riders that came before you) and then to lug (hence the word "luggage") it all upstairs.  Having Joe pick me up, have a warm greeting and then assistance getting everything in and put away was...heaven. 

He brought milk (because Lord knows a good re-entry can only happen if I can have my coffee in the morning!)  and dinner.  After a nice turkey and bean chili, we just relaxed.  No rushing, no time frame...just a hot shower. 

Saturday morning brought a wonderful new experience.  Joe had volunteered for the Leukemia and Lymphoma group that runs the Boston Marathon.  This year, he has been managing all of the water stops for them...so up we got, to go hear the runners and support them on one of their last runs before the big race.  I was surprised that they weren't all "marathon bodies".  Trust me...there were a few that really defined human nature, but most were normal people that were part of something bigger than themselves.  The team gets full on coaching, seminars on running, gear, nutrition; and consistent mentoring.  I was moved by the level of commitment of regular people.  (Those of you who know me well know that I just eat this stuff up!)

A long afternoon nap then coffee with the girls.  A nice dinner and a little Shawshank.  A really great day...relaxing, motivating and inspiring all at the same time.  I feel rested, my brain is engaged without being overworked, I have eaten well, and today we go to the Boston Gay Men's Chorus.  I feel like have not just re-entered from my trip, but I am starting to re-enter into my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment