Friday, January 15, 2010

Tired...just tired

It is a Friday night and I am still at work. I feel like I am completely drained! I started my new job but haven’t stopped my old job. The healthy eating train I was on, backed up over me and then ran over me again. Time to get refocused! Time to think about what is most important.


First, my kids. Everything I do, I do with them in mind. Even when they are not with me, they are present. They keep me going and make me think and rethink about every decision I make (which can be exhausting). I was feeling overwhelmed and Olivia called me to tell me that she was playing on the tree house at the mall play space. That quick phone call was enough to get me through the afternoon. That is why I was at work.

Second, my sense of self. This one is a bit harder to stay focused on. I think about my future and get flustered. It is too big to consider. Too many variables. I know I need to tend to my physical and mental health. Being a great parent. Relationships. Financial security. Intellectual growth. It is all too much on some days. How do people do this and make it look easy? By the end of the day, I have usually only been able to attend to one of them because the rest of it all creeps in (you know…paying the bills, laundry, cleaning the bathroom, grocery shopping, changing the sheets…If I don’t do everything, it doesn’t get done.)

Third, my love family. Sometimes a simple word of encouragement or call from them really gets me through the day. They will never know how much I need, appreciate and value them. These are the people that never let me down, never make me guess whether or not they have my back and make it easy for me to love them in return.

So…what am I going to do about this? I am going to eat a healthy dinner and try to leave the office no later than 8:00. When I get home, I am not going to do the ironing that is piled in the dining room. I am going to put my feet up, watch a movie…and yes, it may have Reese Witherspoon in it – don’t judge me.

No comments:

Post a Comment