Saturday, December 4, 2010

When parenting becomes real

Today was one of those days when, as a parent, I saw the two ends of the process.  Needless to say that I am exhausted.

This morning I took the kids to the beauty parlor so Olivia could get her hair done.  She loves this.  It is such a treat for her and she was so appreciative.  Michael sat contently reading people magazine so he could get caught up in all of his celebrity gossip.  I was proud of my little tribe.  Everyone was content and happy.  Olivia got on her holiday dress and looked spectacular with her hair done.  Michael even had a belt on and his shirt was tucked in.  I felt victory.  I can do this!

Off we went to get Santa pictures taken at the mall.  The kids handled the wait in line with almost no redirection and politely waited their turn.  I was the envy of every other parent in line that was herding cats.  The children excitedly sat on Santa's lap and that is when the day started to turn.  I went to use my blackberry to take a picture of the children because it was one of those rare instances where they both looked good, were still and smiled like happy children and robotrons.  Santa yelled at me to back up because my hand with my blackberry got into the way of his photographer.  (It is actually a great picture...and yes, I bought it.)

The kids were hungry so we went, against my better judgment, to the food court.  Thai food all over Olivia's satin Christmas dress.  I thought I could stop at a store or two on the way out to pick up a few presents.  Michael = begging for toys.  Olivia = snot running all over her face.  Olivia and Michael start wrestling and knock a mirror off the store wall.  Michael gets so mad at me because I won't buy him toys and wont listen to his reasoning on why I should buy him everything that he has been waiting for five years (which is ironic because the toy he wanted was just released).

In the car, Michael starts getting incredibly snarky and rude and disrespectful in a way that more than vaguely sounds like my exhusband. Gas meet fire. 

It is early in the evening.  Both children are in bed.  I am exhausted.  But, I wouldn't trade the hardest day with these kids for anything you would offer me.

1 comment:

  1. You are a wonderful Daddy!! They are lucky to have you!!!

    ReplyDelete