Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Feedback can be humbling

It was announced yesterday to all of my clients that I am leaving the agency and moving on to my private practice.  I thought of this announcement more as a formality as most of the people that received the message have been moved onto other co-workers many months ago.  Boy, was I surprised!

My inbox has been exploding since the announcement went public.  I am humbly touched by the outpouring of affection and sentiment that has been sent my way.  So many people have written to me to discuss the role I played in changing their lives, supporting their dreams and how my use of self has touched them.  I truly don't know what to say.  I was just being me and doing what I do.

This work has always been important to me.  I valued every day and every client I came in contact with.  Even the difficult times and dreadful situations were meaningful.  I would have stayed longer had the political climate been different, but instead I have been motivated to move to a new and challenging adventure.

As my private practice begins to develop, I know there will be times that I will be at sea and will need to figure out how to work in a new way.  However, I trust my instinct and have never been afraid of jumping off a cliff to see how far the bottom is.  I will be successful because failure is not an option...and because I care about the clients I see in my therapy room.  Their success is my success.  Being reminded of that in the past several hours only serves to encourage me to jump more frequently.  

No comments:

Post a Comment