Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Capturing the opportunity

Over the past year, I have opened a group practice and grown it to double the size.  This has required a tremendous amount from me, but more so from Joe and the kids.  I have worked crazy 16 hour days and left them to their own devices -- Joe single parenting the kids many nights.  It has been a trek for all of us.

What I know is that they work hard so that I can work hard.  I couldn't do any of this without the full support and commitment of all three of them.  They do so much and ask me for so little.  I try to be "home" when I am home -- although, I am usually exhausted and need to sleep (and for those that know me, you know that doesn't happen easily).

Tonight a strange and unusual thing happened.  For some reason my patients tonight cancelled for one reason or another and my night ended early.  Usually, I would be trying to fill the slots from the wait list and ensuring that I had a full insurance billing by the end of the week.  However, tonight was different  I decided to capture the opportunity.  I went home.  I went home while both kids were still awake.  While I was still awake.

Olivia squealed when she saw me -- excited that I would be able to kiss her goodnight and write on her board (A great little tradition we have -- each child has a collection of large post-it pad sheets on their wall and every night when they go to bed, I write something positive about them and how I feel about them.)  Michael was excited to tell me about his math (which I totally don't understand, but faked it).  Joe was just exhausted and thankful that he didn't have to make all the decisions tonight.

Me...I am happy to be a part of -- while I am conscience and able to do so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment