Monday, May 14, 2012

Thinking ahead

It is always at these crossroads that everything seems to come to a head.  A change in career always means that everything else gains perspective.  Why is it that I start to question everything?  I think it is akin to home renovation.  It goes something like this:

You redo the living room and you love it.  Then you look at the dining room (which you previously thought was spectacular) and think it pales in comparison to the new living room, you need new carpeting and lighting in there.  Then the kitchen clearly needs a new backsplash.  The treads on the stairs to the second floor are looking worn and when was the last time we had a new shower curtain?  We might as well get some new towels and floor mats...just spruce things up a bit...you know?  And, before you know it....scope creep.  The simple little living room project has now taken over your whole home.

I think the changes that I am going through are slowly taking me into the dining room, kitchen and we are headed up the stairs....  It seems that I am now looking at every aspect of my life and seeing if it is good enough to support all of the change I have already set in motion.  What else needs to change?  I might as well do it all now!

It is a bit (ok...more than a bit) exhausting and overwhelming...and scary.  My friend Sandy was talking about how I completely reinvent myself once a decade.  I don't think think that is the case here...I think these are more necessary changes than reinvention...but if feels the same.  I think I will grab a coffee as I swing by the new backsplash en route to the second floor...

No comments:

Post a Comment