Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Spring has sprung...everywhere!

There is something about this time of year that makes me feel amazingly alive.  This year, more than any other year, I am walking around with a heightened sensibility.  There is so much new growth in the air that I am just tingling!

I am closing out my last few days in my job and getting ready to explode into my own private practice.  It is extremely scary and exciting at the same time.  I am giving up the security of a salary, but along with that I am also giving up the lack of control and freedom that comes from working to put money in someone else's pockets.  I am worried that my kids will suffer this summer while I struggle to build a thriving practice, but it will also be a good life lesson about what is important and how to live simply.  I am thrilled to be in charge of my own success and failure with no one to catch me...but me.

The kids are changing in front of me.  Michael is getting ready for his transition to middle school.  He doesn't even look like the same kid that was in my house this summer.  He has physically matured, is as tall as I am and has adult conversations with me (which totally freak me out by the way.)  Olivia is so damned independent now that I am not required to watch her every move.  She loves it but I don't know how to let my littlest grow.   Joe continues to grow into a stronger and more meaningful partner.  It is amazing that I feel such balance with him and there is so little stress.  Boy, when you find a good one...you just know it!

...and for those that were tracking my marathon adventure...Well, it just wasn't my day.  The weather was a freakish 91 degrees.  People were dropping at mile 2.  I made it to mile 15 and started to feel heat exhaustion so I quit. I was not upset, although I would have loved to cross the finish line.  Last year's winner from Kenya only made it two miles more than I did, so I shouldn't feel so bad.   The good news?  We raised $1M for cancer research and treatment.  So, I guess I crossed that finish line after all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment