Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pettiness...ain't pretty

It is amazing to me how petty some people can be.  OK, not really...but it always makes me stop and go hmph!

Almost everyone at work has been supportive and interested about the next steps of my journey since I have given notice.  But there is one person who has been outwardly dismissive and petty.  My choice to change my future and build my career are about me.  This person has had the most inappropriate reactions (and quite frankly has no need to as my departure has no bearing on this person.) My rule of thumb is always to say something nice or at least wish the person well.  There is no need or meaning behind making someone's exit transition uncomfortable or full of ill will.  I always try to act with dignity and self-respect.  So, when someone acts this way, I just want to shake them and ask why.  I wonder what they get out of it.  What are they trying to overcompensate for?  What anxieties does their behavior calm?

I guess I will never know.  However, I am leaving happy, with conviction it is was the right move for the right reasons and at the right time...regardless of what anyone else thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment